NAPE is dedicated to enhancing the professionalism and effectiveness in the field of probation by creating a national network for probation executives, bringing about positive change in the field, and making available a pool of experts in probation management, program development, training, and research. In fulfilling its mission, NAPE strives to accomplish the following.
- Conduct training sessions, conferences, and workshops on timely subjects unique to the needs of probation executives;
- Provide technical assistance to national, state, and local governments, as well as private institutions, that are committed to improving probation practices;
- Analyze relevant research relating to probation programs nationally and publish position papers;
- Assist in the development of standards, training, and accreditation procedures for probation agencies; and
- Educate the general public on problems in the field of probation and their possible solutions.